1026 Wolf Street Philadelphia, PA 19148 (215) 463 1311
Copyright 2010 Bomb Bomb Inc.
The question arises at least 15 times a day; "Why would you guys name your restaurant Bomb Bomb?!" The answer to this simple question comes from very interesting past that started early in the morning on Sunday, February 16, 1936. It was on this date a bomb was placed on the front steps of a newly opened taproom at Warnock and Wolf St. shattering windows blocks away! This small taproom was owned by Vincent Margarite who came to be enemies with the local racketeers. Authorities came to the conclusion that the bombing was a result of jealousy on the part of business rivals.
This incident, however, did not stop Margarite from reopening the day after the bombing despite the dangerous situation. More then a month later on Friday, April 4, a second blast rang out in the early morning hours from Warnock and Wolf St. This time the bomb was bigger and louder, throwing neighbors Frank Corratta and his family from bed! Many more neighbors were hurled from there bed including owner Vincent, his wife, and son who lived on the second floor of the taproom. A petition was then sent around the local community to shut down the taproom.
Vincent would give into the pressure and sell the property to Jimmy Cataldi. Jimmy's Tavern would enjoy many years of peaceful business. Then, in 1951, Frank Barbato Sr. would purchase the infamous bar from Mr. Cataldi. Around this time that the locals were calling the bar Bomb Bomb because of the two blasts years earlier. Frank Sr. would eventually give in to the popularity of the name and make it official. Like Vincent in the 1930s, Frank Sr., his wife Regina, and two sons Frank Jr. and Marc lived on top of the bar until 1957. The family tradition continued when Frank Jr. and wife Debbie took over the bar in 1990 and turned the place into a full fledged restaurant and bar. Today Bomb Bomb Bar-B-Q Grill and Italian Restaurant is the proud owner of many food awards (mostly for our succulent BBQ baby back ribs!) and one of the richest histories in South Philadelphia!